Gulflander & Savannahlander – Via Croydon (Normanton Departure)
Take in the best that outback railways in North Queensland have to offer with a trip on BOTH the iconic Gulflander and Savannahlander trains over a 5 day, 4 night package. This tour package includes your rail fare, accommodation, dinners, breakfasts and all the side-tours and transfers during your visit to the outback that takes in our historic rail journey through the wet tropics and savannah country, Cobbold Gorge and the Undara Lava Tubes.
Your itinerary at a glance:
- Tuesday: Get yourself to Normanton by Tuesday travelling by car, foot, camel train, wheelbarrow or fly in from Cairns or Mt Isa. Your accommodation, dinner and breakfast the next morning is included in this tour package.
- Wednesday: Take the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon and stay in Croydon for the night.
- Thursday: Depart Croydon and travel to Mt Surprise by coach. Board the Savannahlander around lunchtime and travel to Forsayth for an overnight stay with meals and accommodation.
- Friday: Board the Savannahlander with a stop along the way for morning tea in the bush. After lunch at the historic Einasleigh hotel travel on to Mt Surprise where you tour the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Saturday: Travel on the Savannahlander on it’s journey home from Mt Surprise back to it’s home in Cairns.
Get yourself to Normanton by Tuesday travelling by car, foot, camel train, wheelbarrow or fly in from Cairns or Mt Isa. Spend the night in Normanton as part of our tour including dinner and breakfast the next morning and catch Wednesday’s Gulflander to Croydon and enjoy a morning tea along the way.
When you arrive in Croydon it’s a short walk of a few hundred meters to your accommodation for the evening at either the Croydon Club Hotel or the Croydon Caravan Park. Meals are provided at the Croydon Club hotel and you will have the chance to explore the town at your leisure in the afternoon.
Thursday morning you will be picked up from the veranda of the Croydon Club Hotel and enjoy a coach transfer to Mt Surprise. After a quick lunch at Mt Surprise you will board the Savannahlander for it’s outbound journey to Forsayth.
At Einasleigh you will have the opportunity to have a refreshing beverage at the historic Einasleigh Hotel. There is also the opportunity for a self-guided walk along the beautiful Copperfield Gorge before rejoining the Savannahlander on it’s continuing journey to Forsayth.
On Friday morning you will board the Savannahlander for a fantastic morning on the train climbing out along the Delaney Gorge and then up the Newcastle range. There is a line-side morning tea stop which is included in your package along with a Savannahlander souvenir cup for you to keep. After a stop at the historic Einasleigh Hotel for lunch you will continue on to Mt Surprise.
At Mt Surprise, if you have a tour package with accommodation at the Undara Lava Lodge you will transfer there immediately. Otherwise you will disembark and after a brief stop to your rooms at Bedrock Village and then you will enjoy a guided tour of the Undara Lava Tubes and return to Mt Surprise in time for dinner.
Saturday morning sees you up bright and early for a full day on the Savannahlander as it makes it way from Mt Surprise back to Cairns winding through the outback as it transitions from the outback Savannah country to the agricultural regions around Mareeba and down through the wet tropics as you approach your destination of Cairns.
Your trip includes:
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast in Normanton
- Travel on the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon.
- Morning tea at Blackbull during the Gulflander trip.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast in Croydon.
- Coach transfer from Croydon to Mt Surprise
- Travel on the Savannahlander from Mt Surprise to Einasleigh.
- Accommodation and meals in Forsayth at Finnigans Rest.
- Tour of the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast at Bedrock Village (Mt Surprise). *Optional add on – accommodation at the Undara Lava Experience.
- Dinners and breakfasts for your entire tour. (ie. starting with dinner on the Monday through to breakfast on the Saturday)
Due to their popularity, we have included the Undara Lava Tube Tours in this package, however you are free to request any of this tour to be removed and we will reduce the cost of your tour package accordingly. Options include:
- Remove the Tour of Undara – This leaves you free to do your own thing in Mt Surprise on Friday afternoon.
- Include a Tour and Stay at Undara Expereince – Stay at the Undara Lava Lodge with accommodation in either their restored Railway Carriages or their Pioneer huts. We book you preferentially to the Railway Carriages then the Pioneer huts as availability dictates. You will also have dinner and a Bush Breakfast in the morning and then return to Mt Surprise for the train on Saturday morning.
- Please note that Cobbold Gorge is unavailable for 2022. Should rooms become available during the course of the year passengers will be notified and offered an option for accommodation and tours.