Gulflander & Savannahlander – Via Croydon (Cairns Departure)
Take in the best that outback railways in North Queensland have to offer with a trip on BOTH the iconic Gulflander and Savannahlander trains over a 6 day, 5 night package. This tour package includes your rail fare, accommodation, dinners, breakfasts and all the side-tours and transfers during your visit to the outback that takes in our historic rail journey through the wet tropics and savannah country, Cobbold Gorge and the Undara Lava Tubes.
Your itinerary at a glance:
- Monday: Depart Cairns via coach.
- Tuesday: Have a rest day to explore Normanton and surrounds.
- Wednesday: Take the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon and stay in Croydon for the night.
- Thursday: Depart Croydon and travel to Mt Surprise by coach. Board the Savannahlander to Forsayth around lunchtime. On arrival at Einasleigh you will transfer by coach to Cobbold Gorge for the “Golden Hour” boat cruise on their custom made silent electric boats. (Golden Hour being the photographers nickname for the wonderful late afternoon soft light)
- Friday: Returning to Forsayth in the morning you will board the Savannahlander with a stop along the way for morning tea in the bush. After lunch at the historic Einasleigh hotel travel on to Mt Surprise where you tour the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Saturday: Travel on the Savannahlander on it’s journey home from Mt Surprise back to it’s home in Cairns.
Depart Cairns Monday morning by Trans North coach and arrive in Normanton in the afternoon. Spend two nights in Normanton and catch Wednesday’s Gulflander to Croydon and enjoy a morning tea along the way.
When you arrive in Croydon your hosts from the Croydon Club Hotel or the Croydon Caravan Park will meet you to take you to your accommodation. Regardless of where you stay, meals are provided at the Croydon Club hotel and you will have the chance to explore the town at your leisure in the afternoon.
Thursday morning you will be picked up from the veranda of the Croydon Club Hotel and enjoy a coach transfer to Mt Surprise. After a quick lunch at Mt Surprise you will board the Savannahlander for it’s outbound journey to Einasleigh.
At Einasleigh you will be met by the bus for Cobbold Gorge for a transfer from Einasleigh to the spectacular Cobbold Village resort. Here you will be in you will be able to enjoy an amazing tour up Cobbold Gorge on their custom made electric boats during the photographer’s “Golden Hour” of soft light just prior to dusk. Dinner and breakfast will be provided by your hosts at Cobbold Village and you will be informed of times and places on arrival.
Friday morning will see you have a short bus transfer after breakfast to Forsayth where you will board the Savannahlander for a fantastic morning on the train climbing out along the Delaney Gorge and then up the Newcastle range. There is a line-side morning tea stop which is included in your package along with a Savannahlander souvenir cup for you to keep. After a stop at the historic Einasleigh Hotel for lunch you will continue on to Mt Surprise.
At Mt Surprise, if you have a tour package with accommodation at the Undara Lava Lodge you will transfer there immediately. Otherwise you will disembark and after a brief stop to your rooms at Bedrock Village and then you will enjoy a guided tour of the Undara Lava Tubes and return to Mt Surprise in time for dinner.
Saturday morning sees you up bright and early for a full day on the Savannahlander as it makes it way from Mt Surprise back to Cairns winding through the outback as it transitions from the outback Savannah country to the agricultural regions around Mareeba and down through the wet tropics as you approach your destination of Cairns.
Your trip includes:
- Coach transfer from Cairns to Normanton.
- 2 nights accommodation, dinners and breakfasts in Normanton
- Travel on the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon.
- Morning tea at Blackbull during the Gulflander trip.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast in Croydon.
- Coach transfer from Croydon to Mt Surprise
- Travel on the Savannahlander from Mt Surprise to Einasleigh.
- Transfers, accommodation, dinner and breakfast at Cobbold Gorge.
- Tour of Cobbold Gorge in their custom silent electric boats.
- Transfer to Forsayth to meet up with the Savannahlander.
- Tour of the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast at Bedrock Village (Mt Surprise). *Optional add on – accommodation at the Undara Lava Experience.
- Dinners and breakfasts for your entire tour. (ie. starting with dinner on the Monday through to breakfast on the Saturday)
Due to their popularity, we have included the Cobbold Gorge and Undara Lava Tube Tours in this package, however you are free to request any of these tours to be removed and we will reduce the cost of your tour package accordingly. Options include:
- Remove the Tour of Cobbold Gorge – enjoy your rail journey all the way to Forsayth on Thursday and stay at the fantastic “Finnigans Rest”.
- Remove the Tour of Undara – This leaves you free to do your own thing in Mt Surprise on Friday afternoon.
- Include a Tour and Stay at Undara Experience – Stay at the Undara Lava Lodge with accommodation in either their restored Railway Carriages or their Pioneer huts. We book you preferentially to the Railway Carriages then the Pioneer huts as availability dictates. You will also have dinner and a Bush Breakfast in the morning and then return to Mt Surprise for the train on Saturday morning.
- Please note that Cobbold Gorge is closed for the months of March and November. Any tour where your stay in Cobbold would occur in these months will be accommodated in Forsayth at Finnigans Rest and will have the cost of the Cobbold transfer, accommodation and tours deducted from their package price .