Gulflander & Savannahlander – Via Croydon (Cairns Departure)
Take in the best that outback railways in North Queensland have to offer with a trip on BOTH the iconic Gulflander and Savannahlander trains over a 6 day, 5 night package. This tour package includes your rail fare, accommodation, dinners, breakfasts and all the side-tours and transfers during your visit to the outback that takes in our historic rail journey through the wet tropics and savannah country, Cobbold Gorge and the Undara Lava Tubes.
Your itinerary at a glance:
- Monday: Depart Cairns via coach.
- Tuesday: Have a rest day to explore Normanton and surrounds.
- Wednesday: Take the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon and stay there the night.
- Thursday: Depart Croydon and travel to Mt Surprise by coach and board the Savannahlander to Forsayth.
- Friday: After an early tour of Cobbold Gorge, meet the Savannahlander in Einasleigh and travel to Mt Surprise where you tour the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Saturday: Travel on the Savannahlander on it’s journey home from Mt Surprise to Cairns.
Please click this link for a detailed itinerary of the Gulflander and Savannahlander 6 day tour via Croydon.
Depart Cairns Monday morning by Trans North coach and arrive in Normanton in the afternoon. Spend two nights in Normanton and catch Wednesday’s Gulflander to Croydon and enjoy a morning tea along the way.
When you arrive in Croydon it’s a short walk of a few hundred meters to your accommodation for the evening at either the Croydon Club Hotel or the Croydon Caravan Park. Meals are provided at the Croydon Club hotel and you will have the chance to explore the town at your leisure in the afternoon.
Thursday morning you will be picked up from the veranda of the Croydon Club Hotel and enjoy a coach transfer to Mt Surprise. After a quick lunch at Mt Surprise you will board the Savannahlander for it’s outbound journey to Forsayth with a stop at the historic town of Einasleigh.
Depending on your accommodation (either Cobbold Gorge or Forsayth depending on availability) you will either stay in Forsayth and depart for Cobbold Gorge on Friday morning or you will depart Thursday evening around 6pm and transfer to Cobbold Gorge. In either case you will be able to enjoy an amazing tour up Cobbold Gorge on their custom made electric boats.
After your tour you will transfer to Einasleigh for lunch and board the Savannahlander for it’s journey to Mt Surprise. If you have chosen the option to stay at the Undara Lava Lodge you will transfer there immediately. Otherwise you will disembark and after a brief stop to your rooms you will enjoy a guided tour of the Undara Lava Tubes and return to Mt Surprise in time for dinner.
Saturday morning sees you up bright and early for a full day on the Savannahlander as it makes it way from Mt Surprise back to Cairns winding through the outback as it transitions from the outback savannah country to the agricultural regions around Mareeba and down through the wet tropics as you approach your destination.
Your trip includes:
- Coach transfer from Cairns to Normanton.
- 2 nights accommodation, dinners and breakfasts in Normanton
- Travel on the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon.
- Morning tea at Blackbull during the Gulflander trip.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast in Croydon.
- Coach transfer from Croydon to Mt Surprise
- Travel on the Savannahlander from Mt Surprise to Forsayth.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast at Cobbold Gorge or Finnigans Rest.
- Cobbold Gorge electric boat tour and transfer to Einasleigh to meet up with the Savannahlander.
- Tour of the Undara Lava Tubes.
- Accommodation, dinner and breakfast at Bedrock Village (Mt Surprise). *Optional add on – accommodation at the Undara Lava Experience.
- Dinners and breakfasts for your entire tour. (ie. starting with dinner on the Monday through to breakfast on the Saturday)
Due to their popularity, we have included the Cobbold Gorge and Undara Lava Tube Tours in this package, however you are free to request they be deleted from your itinerary when you book. There is also an option to include an overnight stay and tour at the Undara Experience Lava Lodge:
- Remove the Tour of Cobbold Gorge – enjoy your night in Forsayth and your morning’s journey on the Savannahlander to Einasleigh.
- Remove the Tour of Undara – This leaves you free to do your own thing in Mt Surprise on Friday afternoon.
- Include a Tour and Stay at Undara Expereince – Stay at the Undara Lava Lodge with accommodation in either their restored Railway Carriages or their Pioneer huts. We book you preferentially to the Railway Carriages then the Pioneer huts as availability dictates. An additional cost of $150 per person will be added to your package.
- You will also have dinner and a Bush Breakfast in the morning and then return to Mt Surprise for the train on Saturday morning.
- Please note that Cobbold Gorge is closed for the months of March and November. Any tour where your stay in Cobbold would occur in these months will be accommodated in Forsayth at Finnigans Rest and will have the cost of the Cobbold transfer, accommodation and tours deducted from their package price .