Gulflander and Savannahlander with Outback Escape (Cairns Departure)
Take in the best that outback railways in North Queensland have to offer with a trip on BOTH the iconic Gulflander and Savannahlander trains over a 6 day, 5 night package which includes the extended “Outback Escape” around Mt Surprise. This tour package includes your rail fare, accommodation, dinners, breakfasts and all the side-tours and transfers during your visit to the outback that takes in our historic rail journey through the wet tropics and savannah country, transfers and the Undara Lava Tubes.
Your itinerary at a glance:
- Monday: Depart Cairns via coach.
- Tuesday: Have a rest day to explore Normanton and surrounds.
- Wednesday: Take the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon and stay there the night.
- Thursday: Depart Croydon and travel to Mt Surprise by coach and board the Savannahlander to Einasleigh, returning to Mt Surprise for the night.
- Friday: Tour of Undara Lava Tubes, Whitewater natural springs & ‘The Fig Tree’, accommodation at Mt Surprise
- Saturday: Travel on the Savannahlander on it’s journey home from Mt Surprise to Cairns.
Please click this link for a detailed itinerary of the Gulflander and Savannahlander 6 day tour with Outback Escape.
Depart Cairns Monday morning by Trans North coach and arrive in Normanton in the afternoon. Spend two nights in Normanton and catch Wednesday’s Gulflander to Croydon and enjoy a morning tea along the way.
When you arrive in Croydon it’s a short walk of a few hundred meters to your accommodation for the evening at either the Croydon Club Hotel or the Croydon Caravan Park. Meals are provided at the Croydon Club hotel and you will have the chance to explore the town at your leisure in the afternoon.
Thursday morning you will be picked up from the veranda of the Croydon Club Hotel and enjoy a coach transfer to Mt Surprise. After a quick lunch at Mt Surprise you will board the Savannahlander for it’s outbound journey to Forsayth with a stop at the historic town of Einasleigh.
At the iconic Einasleigh Hotel you can enjoy a cold beverage and take in the pubs century old heritage as you sit looking out over the beautiful Copperfield Gorge. After refreshments, take a guided tour of the Copperfield Gorge itself.
Please note this walk involves uneven surfaces and may not be suitable for all people.
Up early on Friday, you will enjoy a BBQ cooked breakfast then travel by bus to the Undara Volcanic National Park. With an expert guide along the way, you will walk three sections of the Lava Tubes themselves for a memorable experience of this natural wonder. Next up is a rare opportunity to see the Whitewater Springs and to see ‘The Fig Tree’; believed to be centuries old and still thriving. At this spectacular location, off the beaten track, you can take in the very special surrounds and enjoy a cup of “billy tea”.
You will arrive back at Bedrock Village in Mt Surprise for lunch and the afternoon to explore the township yourself or relax by the pool before dinner. Your dinner is typically followed by a classic aussie outdoor campfire (weather permitting).
After breakfast you will depart on the Savannahlander to make your way back through the spectacular outback country to Cairns.
Your trip includes:
- Coach transfer from Cairns to Normanton.
- Travel on the Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon.
- Morning tea at Blackbull during the Gulflander trip.
- Travel on the Savannahlander from Mt Surprise to Einasleigh.
- En-suite accommodation in Normanton, Croydon and Mt Surprise.
- Tour of the Copperfield Gorge and township of Einasleigh.
- Tour of Undara Lava Tubes and Undara Volcanic National Park.
- Tour of Whitewater Springs.
- Travel on the Savannahlander from Mt Surprise to Cairns.
- Dinner and breakfast for your entire tour. (ie. starting with dinner on the Monday through to breakfast on the Saturday).